Nine things you can do to help protect the earth
Our surroundings play a role in our health. Hazards such as pollution, chemicals and waste can increase our risk of illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and asthma, while a clean environment facilitates comfort and improves our mood.
To help nature is to help ourselves. Curious about what you can do? Here are nine simple practices to get started:
- Follow the 3 ‘R’s: Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Cut down on what you throw away, to conserve natural resources and cut down on landfill space.
- Clean up your surrounding: Volunteer to clean up your community. Pick up any trash you see around you.
- Learn more: Educate yourself on how to help the environment, and help others understand the importance of our natural surroundings.
- Conserve water and electricity: Cutting down on unnecessary waste goes a long way to conserve earth’s resources.
- Choose sustainable/eco-friendly options: Whenever you purchase products, look for nature-friendly options where possible.
- Cut down on non-compostable plastics: Avoid ordinary plastics where possible – utilise compostable plastics, reusable straws, reusable shopping bags instead.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs: These long lasting light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Grow a garden/plant a tree: Plants provide food and oxygen. Additionally, they clean the air, lower the surrounding temperature and helps us combat climate change.
- Walk/bike more: Avoid driving a car if there are alternative modes of transport. You should also use public transport if they are available!